In the last post we talked about how to get rejected…let’s focus on the positive in this post and speak on how to get published!
- BE ORIGINAL-Publishers want fresh ideas that stand out! This INCLUDES a re-telling of an old story in a fresh and original way! Look at all the remakes happening right now…
- Use Charm, Humour, Satire-The Simpsons is a perfect example of satire and how to use it properly. Be charming, be funny and be yourself!
- Use Playfulness-Write something totally outrageous like I want an elephant for my birthday and let the story get crazy…I wanted an elephant for my birthday so I went to the pet store…I brought the elephant home and let him sleep in my tree house… I cooked him 38 pancakes for breakfast the next day…etc. Make it BIGGER and BIGGER! A la mastermind Robert Munsch!
- Be Sensible-When writing your query letter and don’t send things multiple times to the same publisher or to different agents in the same agency-keep track of your submissions.
- We Need This Book-Write something SO dazzling that you make publishers say, “We NEED this book!”
- Stay True-To yourself and to your writing, write what YOU want to write about!
- Self Publish- If you have a story that you believe in TELL IT! Self publish and market it well and you could make and KEEP a lot of money.
Best of luck everyone…you don’t need luck, just write and write well!